Last year, retail spending on Mother's Day in the UK was projected to reach £1.34 billion, with around 70% of the population celebrating the holiday with a gift. Mother's Day is a massive opportunity for both online and in-store businesses to market in order to increase sales and customer engagement.
When is Mother's Day in the UK?
Mothering Sunday 2022 falls on 27th March (3 weeks before Easter weekend). However, Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May in America. So, if you have a customer base in both locations, that's double the opportunity!
How are companies celebrating Mother's Day?
- British chocolatier Hotel Chocolat offers a range of exclusive Mother's Day chocolates and hampers. Their website also effectively groups recommended products together to help shoppers quickly navigate their gifts.
- Marks & Spencer have again utilised existing products and transformed them into celebratory hampers, making them simple for customers to purchase and great for gift giving. In 2021, they also launched bottles of their 'Mumosa', a classic fizz cocktail that was given a Mother's Day makeover.
- With jewellery being a popular Mother's Day gift, Pandora has released a Mother's Day gift guide including a range of Mother's Day charms, bracelets, earrings and necklaces with sentiments like 'Mum love you always'.
- Of course, it's not just large corporations that can get involved in Mother's Day. Even if you're an independent seller on eCommerce marketplaces like Etsy or Not On The High Street, many independent stores sell a range of personalised gifts like handmade jewellery, self-care sets, home decor and more!
10 ways to drive sales this Mother's Day
1) Create exclusive Mother's Day products
Marketing an exclusive product colour or design is an excellent way to generate demand for your products, especially for Mother's Day. For example, you could create a limited-edition colour way or gift set for one week only.
2) Run a unique online discount code
If you sell your products on online shopping platforms or via your own website, you could run a limited-time discount code for your customers to use - for example, 27% off certain items to mark 27th March.
3) Post-purchase promotion
Post-purchase discount codes can encourage repeat purchases and build consumer loyalty. Our Branded Tracking enables you to upload your own promotional banner that you can use to offer exclusive discounts to existing customers.
4) Upgrade your product packaging
We all know the importance of creating a unique packaging experience, especially in the eCommerce industry. The option of handwritten personalisation, craft paper with dried flowers, and stencil decorations all make for a lovingly wrapped parcel! Adding those extra touches to your Mother's Day gifts doesn't have to take much more effort than usual, and customers will be more likely to order your item if it comes readily wrapped.
5) Offer Free Shipping on certain items
One of the biggest deciders to abandon cart is shipping charges, so offering free shipping will encourage customers to buy more when they know it is arriving at their doorstep at no extra cost!
Creating a free shipping strategy is easier than you think because sending your parcels with one of our cost-effective shipping services keeps your spending down, allowing you to keep more profits! (Win, win!)
6) Offer Next Day and Same Day shipping for last-minute buyers
Next Day and Same Day shipping options not only can help differentiate you from other small businesses but helps brand reliability. A slap-dash brand looking to make a quick profit wouldn't offer premium and fast shipping, would they?
7) Personalise gifts
Personalised items are always popular because of how unique they can be. It allows people to show a personal connection which is particularly important if you send a gift to your mum. So, if you sell a product that could easily be customisable, you could offer the service at an extra fee to help increase your revenue and give your customer a thoughtful gift.
8) Put together a gift guide
If you look on most company websites, you will find many gift guides directing customers to specific items or services. So, hop on that trend! They don't take ages to create and are helpful for new customers who may not be familiar with your products and increases trust for your brand.
9) Increase social media engagement
In this digital age, businesses need to be active across a range of platforms to reach customers from all around the world. Instagram reels and TikToks have a very high engagement rate and are very useful to demonstrate products or services. So, if you're offering particularly stunning product packaging, why not show your users in a short clip?
10) Launch a giveaway
Everyone loves a freebie! Product giveaways can extend your social reach, engage with customers and generate new followers- all from one post. It's simple to do and proves to be very popular for holidays like Mother's Day. We are offering customers the chance to win a fantastic wine tasting experience in our Mother's Day competition, get involved before it closes!
Mothering Sunday is a great occasion to get involved in and with a few strategies in place, you could see an increase in sales and customer engagement. Of course, offering great shipping is vital to this approach, so check out our range of couriers and create a free account with us to see all the business features accessible at your fingertips!
At Interparcel, we want all businesses to access reliable and affordable parcel delivery services! If you have any questions about how we can help you or the services we offer, give our parcel experts a call, email, or live chat message. Our team are always happy to talk parcels and are available from 8 am - 8 pm Monday to Friday and 9 am - 1 pm on weekends!